Blogged Out Ma Nut

Emoticoning but with letters.

Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury Okay, so… there’s this dystopia right? And it’s just like a bit gimmicky it’s not like an actual other world or nothing.

There’s a few details here and there that are quite nice, but the world seems more cartoonish than threatening.

Also, it sort of reveals the limitations in dystopiaieae since it cheerfully goes through the same formula (which I don’t class a spoiler, but might ruin your dystopia enjoyment a little):
Explanation of dystopia through main dude living out a day or so in the world-> main character starts to think differently -> meets woman who does the things he thinks about doing -> introduces him to the underground resistance (sometimes happens after the next step instead)-> authority figures chase guy and girl -> win/lose decision:
- Win: guy and girl peer thoughtfully off into the distance and start to build the resistance to one day overthrow the evil government
- Lose: guy and/or girl killed or permaprisoned, oh how terrible how terrible how terrible

The concept of this book is like if you got high, wrote down your worst idea and then thought “They call them FIREmen, but you should call them like… like… PUTOUTmen, right? How weird is that? I should write a book about that*.” My applying of the concepts laid out in the novel to my view of the future a little bit began when I opened it, but definitely ended when I closed it, unlike those other dystopieces [b:1984|5470|1984|George Orwell|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348990566s/5470.jpg|153313] and [b:Brave New World|5129|Brave New World|Aldous Huxley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327865608s/5129.jpg|3204877] that people sometimes quite rightly reference regarding some aspects of modern life. And how could Fahrenheit 451 stand alone? Why wouldn’t it have to compete with those books, I wonder? If you want to argue that it's not supposed to stand up so well after 50+ years or so then, fine, I agree...so... I dunno, just stop reading it I guess, it's not that special.

I have a theory as to why lots of people like this book though, because Bradbury waxes pretentious about all these books and how sad it is to lose books, and how intelligent people who read books are, and readers are think “Oh no! The world has no more amazing intelligent people like me in it! How awful, a world without me! Doesn’t bear thinking about! What a grim future Bradbury has shown me!” Eh, about that…

For me, the modern classics tend to fall into two categories, the fantastic books that, oddly enough, time has yet to prove as timeless, and those that are just starting to fade out of living memory and have a great deal of sentimental reasoning attached to their recommendation (or they read it when they were 15 and have yet to revisit it in the cold light of adulthood), imagine I. Fahrenheit 451 is one of those books in which the book falls in to the category of the categories above in the one in which I mentioned the last of this book is okay this review is finished.

*Here are some potential spiritual successors Mr. Bradbury never got round to writing:
- Dinosaurs Never Existed

Progress: 200/935 pages
The Recognitions
William Gaddis, William H. Gass
In Search of Lost Time
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Andreas Mayor, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright, Richard Howard
Teach Yourself Norwegian Complete Course Package (Book + 2 CDs) [With 2 CD's]