Blogged Out Ma Nut

Emoticoning but with letters.

Within a Budding Grove (In Search of Lost Time, #2) - Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright This is an excellent explanation of why I didn't like this volume. And I tried. And I'm never interested in the growing up parts that every (semi)-autobiography for some reason needs to start with. Where did it all begin? Not always at the beginning.

It's very difficult to isolate a particular book and explain its good and bad parts without comparison, so I'll do it: I thought Swann's Way was much better. Quite possibly because it is a first exposure to Proust's writing style, but also because I think his descriptions are more believable when applied to childhood, and I like the idea of an adult re-visiting the magic of his youth with a much bulkier vocabulary.

This volume was different. I got really annoyed with Marcel as hero- everything just seems to happen to him. As for his heterosexual interactions with lady friends, I'll need to get over the idea of Proust as central character, because I didn't buy any of it.

Could we imagine our own lives with this level of passion? Well, would we want to?

Should his adult life become more exciting, I will stick with In Search of Lost Time but only after a hefty break. Reading Proust is like eating honey for breakfast lunch and dinner- the first few days are AWESOME! Why isn't all... oh right.

Finally an excellent quote from Nabokov's Pale Fire that I really wish I hadn't read, because it became all too apparent: "Marcel, the fussy, unpleasant, and not always plausible central character, pampered by everybody in Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu, 181, 691"

A disclaimer: To be fair, I was cringing from the beginning with the idea of having to listen to another author's account of adolescence, so this review is probably a bit skewed. I'm barely interested in my own adolescence, but at 23 I'm not quite as far from it as Proust, so I probably can't fully appreciate this volume anyway. Better luck wished to all goodreaders :-)

The Recognitions
William Gaddis
Progress: 200/935 pages
The Recognitions
William Gaddis, William H. Gass
In Search of Lost Time
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Andreas Mayor, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright, Richard Howard
Teach Yourself Norwegian Complete Course Package (Book + 2 CDs) [With 2 CD's]